The ACP Tool
The ACP Tool is a software application that connects with athenaClinicals® to support advance care planning discussions at the point-of-care, including the following activities:
- Document required details to support reimbursement and satisfaction of quality measures
- Organize and manage advance directives (e.g. Five Wishes, Health Care Proxy, POST)
- Automatically post service codes and modifiers to billing
Access the ACP Tool
From the Patient Chart in athenaClinicals®, use the following navigation:
“Hamburger Menu” at the top right corner > Third party applications > Advance Care Planning Tool.
Document and Bill for ACP
On the ACP Tool home screen, confirm or edit the information in the form, add any "Additional Notes," and click "Save." A confirmation stating “The discussion has been saved” will appear when complete.
Once saved, the ACP Tool completes the following activities in athenaClinicals®:
- Posts applicable Service Code to the Billing tab
- Uploads a Clinical Document to the Patient Chart
- Marks the Advance Care Planning Quality Measure as Satisfied
- Adds an Advance Care Planning Diagnosis and Note to the Encounter
Follow a Guided Conversation
Guided Conversations provide prompts to help users conduct meaningful ACP discussions, while documenting important information, such as a Preferred Healthcare Agent and Treatment Preferences.
Manage Advance Directives
The ACP Tool allows you to view completed advance directives and complete new ones.
View Existing Advance Directives
To view an existing Advance Directive, click the blue "Advance Directives" tab on the right side of the screen, and click the Advance Directive label under the Completed header.
Complete New Advance Directives
To complete a new Advance Directive, click the blue “Advance Directive” tab on the right side of the screen, choose “New” and click the action for the Advance Directive you want to complete.